Thursday, January 23, 2014

My Best Friend Jennifer



In November 1999, I started a new job at Bally’s Total Fitness. I worked the front desk as a receptionist, swiping all the customers into the club, and answering the phones. So, one day a customer came into the club. We were laughing and talking about shopping. We hit it off well and quickly became good friends.  We are very similar both of us are nice and loving people. After a while, I met her family and she met mine.

We did almost everything together; we went to dinner once a week to Baker’s Square. We ate the same thing every time. We had pasta, French fries, and apple pie a la mode. We would go shopping on our days off. What is great about my friend is if I did not have enough money she would pay for my purchase. And that is how it went, she never asked me to pay it back. I can remember calling her one day to ask if she could loan me fifty dollars for my light bill and she gave it to me and she would always tell me don’t worry about it. So, when she calls me for anything, I go and do it, even now. And guess what? She is my cat’s godmother!

We still see each other, but not as much since I’ve moved to the city. She still lives in Evanston in my old apartment. We talk almost every day on the phone. Over the years, we’ve had our ups and downs, but we always made up and started talking again.

Recently, we had gone a while without talking. Then she called me in December and said she needed to tell me something important. So, I said, “tell me what is it?”

She said, “I am having a baby.”

So, I said, “No! You’re lying!”

Her reply was, “Yes, I am having a baby!”

So, I asked “How far along are you?”

She said, “three months.”

I am excited for her because she will be a great mother. She is a really great friend also. Jennifer is my best friend we have laughed together, cried together and I wouldn’t change that at all. If you have a best friend hold on to them, because a good friend is hard to find these days and make sure you tell them you love them and mean it.


Gloria

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for sharing! It's so nice to have close girlfriends. Keep up with the writing!

    ReplyDelete